European 4 in 1 is one of the oldest known chainmail weaves, originating more than 2000 years ago. European 4 in 1 is fundamental in many other Chainmail weaves, You should start here if you’re beginning to learn.
1. Begin by opening one ring and closing four jump rings.
2. Place the four closed rings inside the Open ring.
3. Close the open ring and arrange it as shown below, This is one "unit", you’ll be making a lot of these!
4. Repeat Steps 1-3 to make more 4 in 1 units. Open one ring and arrange it as shown. Insert and close a ring shown in gold, inside the four rings shown in red with the same orientation as the middle rings of the two units.
5. After closing the gold ring in step 4, your weave should look like this:
6. Repeat steps 1-5 to make as many units as you need for the size of your project.
7. To Join Smaller Units made in steps 1-6 into longer Strips, simply Open rings and join the units the same way you did in Step 4.
8. To join strips made in step 7 into a wider sheet, insert open rings(Gold) through the closed rings(Red) on the edge of each strip to join them together.
Keep repeating these steps to make a sheet the size you need for your projects!
There are several popular techniques to make this weave, this is just one of them, and we think this is one of the simpler methods to learn with.